I have just posted this on the workwear edit, but I thought some of our lovely AllWornOut readers might be looking for a rain coat, too. My apologies for the duplication, if you read both blogs!
I loathe being wet, and decided I needed a rain coat, and that it needed to be:
- smart (ie not overly “practical” looking);
- affordable; and
- waterproof. There are lots of terms used like “shower proof”, “storm proof”, “water resistant” and “water repellent”. I still don’t know exactly what they mean, but I feel they must offer lesser protection than a “water proof” coat.
So, after hours of shopping online and, even, a little, in stores this is the perfect rain coat for me: TRESPASS | Manhattan rain coat in black | £39.43 (size S). Here are the website photos:
Here’s how it looks on me (please excuse poor photos – Santa is bringing me a camera for Christmas, once I decide on one…):
VERDICT: This Trespass Manhattan coat is the rain coat for me, as it ticks all my boxes, including having a hood that doesn’t engulf my face. Its not too thick and its not too thin (its lightly padded). While its a performance coat, and has a little of that look, I think its smart enough that I could wear it most places. However, the key deciding factor for me was that I liked wearing it when I put it on, and felt like I could brave a storm and be dry, while still being able to comfortably move around in it. Now that I have found my rain coat, naturally, the weather has since been mostly dry [sardonic smile].
The rain coats that I tried on and returned were:
– MARKS & SPENCER | M&S Collection Faux Fur Hooded Parka with Stormwear™ | £79 (in size S): This was too thick and bulky. Also it is water repellent | storm proof, and the sales assistants at M&S couldn’t clarify what that actually meant ie how long and in what sort of rain would I stay dry;
– AIGLE | Rainylong waterproof jacket | £70 (in size S): This was too lightweight: I would have been able to feel heavy rain through it, and I just didn’t love the shape on me; and
– TRESPASS | Alissa Waterproof Outdoor Jacket | £50 (in size S): I ordered this with the Manhattan, and expected to keep the Alissa and return the Manhattan. However, despite how it looks in the website photos, the Alissa is quite unflattering on me as it really flared out from my waist, giving me an odd shape.